Casablanca is a 1942 American romantic drama film directed by Michael Curtiz, starring Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman and Paul Henreid and featuring Claude Rains, Conrad Veidt, Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre. Set during World War II, it focuses on a man torn between, in the words of one character, love and virtue. He must choose between his love for a woman and helping her and her Resistance leader husband escape from the Vichy-controlled Moroccan city of Casablanca to continue his fight against the Nazis.
Enjoy these most famous scenes and top quotes from the definitive classic movie, Casablanca!
- Ilsa: Play it once, Sam, for old times' sake.
- Sam: I don't know what you mean, Miss Ilsa.
- Ilsa: [whispered] Play it, Sam. Play As Time Goes By.
- Sam: Why, I can't remember it, Miss Ilsa. I'm a little rusty on it.
- Ilsa: I'll hum it for you. [Ilsa hums two bars. Sam starts to play] Sing it, Sam.
- Sam: [singing] You must remember this
A kiss is just a kiss
A sigh is just a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by.
- Rick: [rushing up] Sam, I thought I told you never to play-...
[Sees Ilsa. Sam closes the piano and rolls it away]
"Play it, Sam. Play As Time Goes By" is #28 in the AFI's list of the top 100 movie quotations; it is often misquoted as "Play it again, Sam".
- Rick: If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
- Ilsa: But what about us?
- Rick: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have it before...we'd...we'd lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.
- Ilsa: When I said I would never leave you...
- Rick: And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Here's looking at you, kid.
- [last lines]
Rick: Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
- "We'll always have Paris" is ranked #43 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema; "Here's looking at you, kid" is ranked #5.
An extra treat: Casablanca Script Online pdf In case you want to read along.