The film stars Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr with Rita Moreno, Terry Saunders, Martin Benson, Rex Thompson, Patrick Adiarte, Alan Mowbray and Geoffrey Toone. The cinematography was by Leon Shamroy, the art direction by John DeCuir and Lyle R. Wheeler and the costume design by Irene Sharaff.
The film was nominated for nine Academy Awards and won five.
- Best Actor - Yul Brynner
- Best Art Direction - John DeCuir, Lyle R. Wheeler, Walter M. Scott, Paul S. Fox
- Best Costume Design, Color - Irene Sharaff
- Best Music, Scoring of a Musical Picture - Alfred Newman and Ken Darby
- Sound Recording - Carlton W. Faulkner
- Best Actress - Deborah Kerr
- Best Cinematography, Color - Leon Shamroy
- Best Director - Walter Lang
- Best Picture - Charles Brackett
Brynner was one of seven actors to win the Tony and the Oscar for the same role.
I Whistle a Happy Tune - Anna and Louis
Getting to Know You - Anna, Wives, and Children
Shall We Dance? - Anna and King