Pygmalion (1913) is a play by George Bernard Shaw based on the Greek myth of the same name. It tells the story of Henry Higgins, a professor of phonetics (based on phonetician Henry Sweet), who makes a bet with his friend Colonel Pickering that he can successfully pass off a Cockney flower girl, Eliza Doolittle, as a refined society lady by teaching her how to speak with an upper class accent and training her in etiquette. In the process, Higgins and Doolittle grow close, but she ultimately rejects his domineering ways and declares she will marry Freddy Eynsford-Hill – a young, poor, gentleman. This play is based on Pygmalion, a sculptor from Greek Mythology. The play led to a several adaptations including two Award Winning films:
- Pygmalion (1938), a film adaptation by Shaw starring Leslie Howard as "Higgins" and Wendy Hiller as "Eliza".
- My Fair Lady (1964), a film version of the musical starring Audrey Hepburn as "Eliza" and Rex Harrison as "Higgins".
Worth RetweetingTCManiacs: RT @viste_m: New blog post: Audrey Hepburn vs Penélope Cruz http://tinyurl.com/cqyfk2
What the Tweeple say: Pygmalian vs. My Fair Lady! Audrey Hepburn vs. Penelope Cruz?
- j_bacardi Jiminy Christmas, is MY FAIR LADY a LONG movie or what? Seems like it's been on all night.
- ixtumea @TCManiacs There's no comparison. Audrey is classic. After all my research on her for my novel, I've come to absolutely love her!
- MaterialGirl850 Ridiculously big hats a la My Fair Lady are really due for a comeback.
- phatredg @TCManiacs No Contest. Ms. Hepburn is the winner hands down. Sorry Penelope.
- hellowren Watching My Fair Lady. Right-O guvnah.
- BobHole My Fair Lady (#TCM) still not sure of the sex of the actor who gives Alfie Doolittle the news about Eliza's moving. I suspect female, but?
- MikeOliveri Wife is watching My Fair Lady. Seems to me they ruined a perfectly good play (Pygmalion) with crummy music.
- beagle lol the bath scene on my fair lady....she is givin em' ell'
- haleycrain @ everyone, I mentioned Audrey Hepburn to a boy a while back and he said, "Who?" So don't judge!! At least I'm better than that!
- raydirector @haleycrain you've never seen My Fair Lady? I'm not sure you should be okay with that.
- CharityMom What makes me happy? Stumbling upon My Fair Lady on TV tonight.
- HEPBURNfrenzy @TCManiacs thanks 4 finding me...I LOVE TCM...did u see "Children's hour" earlier great movie take a gander starring A. Hepburn, S. Maclaine
- BobHole My Fair Lady (TCM). It's a Bob's Favorite night. My Fair Lady and Singin' in the Rain. (Stanly Holloway's better than guy in Pygmalion)
- BobHole Pygmalion (#TCM) w Leslie Howard. Was wonderful good. Better acting in many roles than My Fair Lady (which is a favorite o' mine).
- Mahalat My brother was right. After watching Pygmalion I cannot bear My Fair Lady.
- DBallardReisch Pygmalion then My Fair Lady - it is possible to get too much Henry Higgins
- ThursdayGirl Call me a heretic, but I prefer "Gigi" to "My Fair Lady." Of course, I'm still watching the latter which just started on TCM.
- amok_ OMG My Fair Lady is on. I'm such a gay for Audrey Hepburn.
- QQKachoo @TCManiacs Oh dear, now I feel bad. :^( Anyway, Hugh Laurie plays Dr. House on the telly, so there's that.
- capnlori I was going to play Wii, but My Fair Lady is coming on TV! Oh, the choices a nerd must make.
- QQKachoo Okay, @TCManiacs, you lose points for adding editorial comments to your RTs. Also for not knowing who Hugh Laurie is.
- seabisquick @TCManiacs I understand Leo Genn of "Quo Vadis" dances with Wendy Hiller in the embassy ball scene.
- wollenapathy - Pygmalion's the original My Fair Lady. It's hilarious. we_rob_banks Just watched Pygmalion. I much prefer it to the My Fair Lady version